Connecting Ubuntu to Belkin N+ router USB drive

I recently purchased Belkin's N+ Wireless router. It worked great. Easy to set up and comes up LEDs that should help troubleshoot where the problem is. One of the other features is that it comes with a mount point for USB drive. This is good since it just provides an easy way to create a local NAS. You keep the drive in one place and access it from any of your laptops.

Connecting it from Windows is easy. The usual \\belkin N+\Drive Name works. However, on linux, it did not work out of box. Looked like trouble with space in the name at first. But when I tried with IP address and it did work. I inferred space may not be the issue. I tried few suggestions from ...

http://alittlecharm.blogspot.com/2009/06/connecting-ubuntu-to-belkin-n-usb-drive.html

.. this did not work for me. Not as it is, at least.

One reason i avoided to implement these suggestion as is that it required to install smb4k which would have also installed base kde and I wasn't in big favor of installing the whole thing. I started to look for a gnome alternate to smb4k. I remembered good old linneighborhood. This is now listed as pyNeighborhood in synaptic. This internally depends on smbfs. And I think thats the missing piece. Because I did not use pyNeighborhood at all - just installing "smbfs" did the work. I could browse the drive in nautilus and also mount it using the command line.

Here is how I did for nautilus:
For nautilus, i had to do smb://ROUTE_IP/. It wont list the shares in the BELKIN group for some reasons. When prompted for password, i entered ...
Username: guest
Workgroup: BELKIN (thats how it appeared in my network neighborhood)
password: leave it empty

Remember authorization forever. And now it works like a charm.

Repeating command lines from the link I referred above...

sudo mount -t cifs -o guest,ip=ROUTER_IP,domain=BELKIN,_netdev,mand "//ROUTE_IP/My Passport/" "/media/My Passport/"

(replace ROUTER_IP, BELKIN and My Passport with your names)

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, yes your manual is very helpful, but can you say how fast it works by you. My transfer speed is very slow, it's about 600 kb/s vs expected nnn Mb/s. Sometimes it goes to up to 20Mb/s but after that it doesn't works anymore. I thought, that i have some problem with my wireless card, but it seems ok. Tryed to connect to HDD with lan cable over router - same result. Maybe it is some external drive problems. But if i connect HDD directly to pc via usb, it works great. Have WD MyBook 1Tb.
Akshay Guleria said…
@alexander hummmaaan.. That set me thinking. My drive isn't doing great on transfer rate either. did not notice much of a difference on windows also. But in anycase i thought it was my wireless connection :)

How did you test it out ? Which tool? i'll test it out
Unknown said…
hmm, i didn't made any serious tests. Just open some file manager, or even in terminal, and try to copy some big file (for example film). After few seconds, in nautilus, you will see average rate. And as i said, expected result at least several Mb/s, but it's really slow, my internet down rate even faster )) 1,2 Mb/s vs 600 Kb/s by router+hdd. So, it means, that wifi card on my notebook works ok, HDD also if conected directly to notebook. Router transfer possibility via wireless also ok. Where can be an error?
Unknown said…
So, tried also on Win - same result. The problem is with router. Here is what i read about it here. One thing what can i say - it is useless. Belkin gives possibility to use ext HDDs but with option like you connect your HDD with usb 1.1 directly to your pc. I think here is no way to increase speed. I see just one solution - never buy such shitty hardware as Belkin
Akshay Guleria said…
Thanks for the link. That says it on the limitation.
i just tried to copy over ubuntu iso file. My transfer rate was 1MBps+...
+++++++
rsync --progress ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso ./
ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
723488768 100% 1.38MB/s 0:08:20 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

sent 723577177 bytes received 31 bytes 1442825.94 bytes/sec
total size is 723488768 speedup is 1.00
+++++++++

But yes, if there is a way to speed that up, that would be awesome. My pictures et. al. take a while to load in the thumbnail view - things like that.
Other than that, i dont have any regret with this product.
Michael said…
Hey thanks, this worked perfect for me. I have been working on this for 3 weeks. Tried several other solutions but none worked until I tried yours. Thanks again.
Unknown said…
Man, i love you!
Taylor said…
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my problem.

I'm attempting to do this using a usb SimpleDrive. It seems like there are a few partitions on the drive itself. Is there a way to see the partition names vs the actual drive name?

I can not mount /router/SimpleDrive
I think it needs to look like /router/DriveName/SimpleDrive

So, suggestions?
Michael said…
I was trying to connect, but it kept asking for a password. Your 'guest' and blank worked perfect. I am getting 3.1 MB per second transfer (pretty fast!).

THANK YOU!
Andy L said…
Thank you so much for this. I had ignored the problem for a year until finding your post. VERY helpful. The key is the
smb://ROUTER_IP_ADDRESS rendered in Konqueror, which lets you browse the USB storage device and get its name.

I modified your mount stthatring to have it mount as MY_USER_NAME:users rather than as root:root. This is my string:

# mount -t cifs -o guest,ip=ROUTER_IP_ADDRESS,domain=BELKIN,_netdev,mand, -o exec,rw,suid,user,uid=MY_USERNAME,gid=users,umask=0000,dmask=0000 "//ROUTER_IP_ADDRESS/MY_DEVICENAME/" "/media/MyBook/"

MY_DEVICENAME is "My Book", but of course YMMV.

Thanks again.

Kind regards, Andy
Akshay Guleria said…
@andy

Good to know it helped you. Good tweak too.

Are you also able to comment on the speed of data transfer for you. As you would note from other comments on this post, it seems like the Belkin USB connection is 1.0 - low speed. I keep my picasa pictures and videos there and its generally not a great experience to see these do a slow slideshow.

Whats your experience so far?